408 Clinton St
Elegant 4-story brownstone located on a gorgeous, tree-lined block in prime Carroll Gardens.
According to the Brooklyn Daily Eagle the house dates to approximately 1865 and has been owned by only 3 families in its storied history. The most recent owner, Judge M. Henry Martuscello, a prominent Brooklynite and Appellate Division Supreme Court judge, undertook an extensive and meticulous mid-century renovation which has been pristinely maintained by his heirs. The large baths are a study in mid-century modern design and blend seamlessly with the more original elements of the home such as the original fireplace mantels, walnut hardwood floors, and original plaster walls in perfect condition.
A legal 2 family, in use as a single family, the house features a center staircase, four spacious bedrooms with warm suffused light and two and a half bathrooms. The main kitchen on the garden level is accompanied by a second butler's kitchen on the parlor level, a distinction of a more gracious time in history when at-home entertaining was a grand and formal affair. The garden level features a wood paneled mid-century bar and den waiting to be enjoyed with reruns of Mad Men and a martini, or transformed into a rental apartment, or just extra space for the grandparents. The kitchen on this level is enormous and the separate laundry room with skylight would make even Martha Stewart jealous.
Property highlights include:
- 4 spacious bedrooms with soaring ceilings (one bedroom is currently used as a library space)
- 2.5 bathrooms
- Private outdoor backyard and garden
- Walnut hardwood floors throughout
- 2 fireplaces (not currently opened)
- Garden level equipped with bar, full suburban-sized kitchen, laundry room, and lounge/living area for entertainment
- Grand parlor floor with 11 foot ceilings, butler's kitchen, formal dining room and living room
- Ductwork for central air is in place and ready to go
- Cedar closets
- Upgrades include: new roof in 2020 with new skylight, updated electric, perfectly plastered walls, new water heater 2017, pristinely maintained home all throughout
The house is located on a sunny tree-lined block close to all your neighborhood favorites such as Brooklyn Farmacy, Lucali, Mazzolas and so much more.
- F/G subway lines are within short distance
- Shops and restaurants on Smith and Court Streets moments away
- Carroll Park is three blocks away
- Brooklyn Public Library is a few steps away
When working with buyers, Evan helps his clients separate signal from noise in highly competitive markets. He believes the process of buying is best viewed as a study in efficiency and self-confidence. Well versed in emergent digital technologies and platforms, Evan leverages leading edge tools to ensure his clients are able to act with great vigor upon finding their ideal property.Let's Connect